I offer 100% customized running, triathlon and fitness coaching to fit your individual performance goals. Whether you’re looking for helpful tips from time to time, or a personalized training plan based on your upcoming race calendar, my approach is based on your training needs.
- First and foremost, be a student of the sport. As Socrates said, “The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” I’m constantly learning. From influential coaches of the past and present, such as Renato Canova, Jack Daniels, Arthur Lydiard, Matt Dixon, Tim “Lucho” Waggoner, and Ben Greenfield, renowned exercise physiologists like Tim Noakes, and the best in the sports of running and triathlon, Craig Alexander, Chris McCormack, Andy Potts, and Jan Frodeno to name just a few.
- Understand and support every athlete’s unique abilities, drive, strengths, and areas to improve. Goals are individual, as is your biology. What works for one athlete might not for another. I strive to find what works for you, and create a training approach based on what’s going to maximally tap into your potential.
- Quality always trumps quantity. Every workout has a purpose. I don’t believe in fluff. Your workouts will only be as long as they need to be in order to be effective. No more, no less.
- Recovery is always a priority. Performance doesn’t improve in the weight room, on the road or in the pool. The body gets stronger during recovery. If a client needs an unplanned rest day to better recover, take it. Proper recovery is the only way to prepare for and achieve quality during the next workout.
- Nutrition is foundational. Whether before, during and after training and racing, the quality and timing of your fuel can either hinder or boost performance, as well as influence your overall, long-term health. I practice what I preach, and strongly believe in a diet comprised of nutrient-dense foods (again, quality trumps quantity), with adequate protein, lots of healthy fats, and clean carbohydrate sources that are strategically timed in the training cycle.
- Have fun and enjoy the journey. And do it with gratitude.
“Craig truly tailored his workouts to match my life schedule…workouts were always thought through to be focused on quality and not quantity…he offered great advice on how to eat right for best performance… and how to be practically prepared for long training sessions and for race-day…I finished well below my goal time.”
–Kenneth, after IRONMAN 70.3 Austin